Hello! My name is Stephanie Preston, I go by the pronouns she/her, and I am currently working towards a Bachelors of Education, Elementary at the University of Victoria as an aspiring elementary school teacher. I am grateful to be able to study, live, love and play on the traditional lands of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships to the land continue to this day. I was born, raised, and currently reside in Victoria, BC. I love living on the island as it has provided me with many opportunities to follow a variety of passions. Some of these passions include the outdoors, artistic expressions, sciences, physical activity, community involvement and inclusivity. More specifically I love climbing, hiking, mountaineering, backpacking, kayaking, backcountry ski touring, snowboarding, and basically anything else you can do outdoors. These beautiful places are where I go to recenter myself and connect with others. It is also where I draw inspiration for my art (particularly painting).

I am currently interested in many aspects of education. From the Science of Reading, Indigenous pedagogies, the arts, physical and health education, to teaching philosophies, nature schools, and inclusion approaches; I am eager to absorb and incorporate it all into my own practice. I feel that having a connection to nature, the land, and culture is conducive to a successful learning experience. I am also currently interested in the Universal Design of Learning and how the design of a functional space can influence a student’s affective, recognition, and strategic networks and how different approaches to daily physical activity can have a positive influence on an individual’s relationship with physical fitness.

Painting by Stephanie Preston. 2022. Watercolour and Ink

My goals as a future educator include, but are not limited to; Contributing to a supportive, inclusive and educational space for all children; To develop confident and caring individuals; Including local Indigenous ways of knowing; To establish strong connections to local environments and our place within it; And building autonomous individuals with the will and skill in physical activity to be healthy and active throughout their lives.

I have had plenty of life experiences and am thankful for every moment, as they lead me to this program and this future career. I have worked in jobs that, at first, allowed me to help and support others and then moved into training positions where I taught new skills to adults. However, it wasn’t until I was working with children that I found my true joy and passion. I began working with children who have an autism and/or ADHD diagnosis which led to working in summer camps and as an Educational Assistant. Throughout all these positions, my passion for working with children never wavered, it only grew. I am excited to develop new practices, skills, and concepts that contribute to my development and growth so that I can do my best to support others; Students, colleagues, administration and my community.

Life Motto:
Learning to climb, one fall at a time