This online session with Professor Neil Selwyn has been an eye-opening experience. I initially chose this activity as I have been curious in how technology development has impacted the environment on a global scale. After reading the resources from this module, this activity just seemed like the next natural step. And I am so glad it was, I fully intend to look more into his previous research and stay up to date with his ongoing work.
The closest goal of mine that this activity aligns with is “to examine digital learning and the ethics, privacy and surveillance in digital spaces as well as how to appropriately bring these topics into the elementary classroom (online or in-person)”. Upon reflection, I am disappointed in myself that none of my learning goals explicitly connect with the natural environment as I am passionate about it and consider it a deeply rooted value of mine. Additionally, this session has opened my eyes to a whole other side to ed-tech and its connection to the climate crisis, and why the industry of education has a responsibility to make changes to the current projection of the tech industry.

Summary of the Session

In this 30 minute lecture, Professor Neil Selwyn holds an engaging presentation where he addresses environmental sustainability and eco-justice in the context of digital technology use and ed-tech. This talk centers on complex climate issues and asks the big question of “do we actually need digital education?”. As this is an emergent topic there is still much more work to be done. However, it is obvious to see where ed-tech is headed, as with all late-capitalist industries, infinite growth. Ed-tech is currently based around excess use of technology but ramifications on the environment include e-waste, energy drainage, mining of rare metals, and mineral consumption. It is problematic in social terms as it exacerbates social inequalities, there is the emergence of new forms of discrimination and oppression with AI, and in general new social harms. Selwyn argues that “more technology is not the answer, especially to problems where tech probably created them in the first place”.
The possible responses to the current state of ed-tech that Selwyn outlines include: Business as usual, green ed-tech (or “false hope”), or burning it all to the ground. These are all pretty grim responses in my opinion however Selwyn gave two, more hopeful, responses: Eco-justice (rethinking ed-tech and distributed justice) and de-growth (the idea of slowing down production and minimizing resource extraction). He then goes on to discuss what we, as individuals, can do now: Illuminate (talk about these issues), anticipate (think of different futures and different forms of ed-tech in them), and agitate (shake up the complacency amongst people). Ultimately, taking action while maintaining hope for the future.

Do educational institutions have a responsibility to assess their environmental footprint?

Yes, educational institutions have a responsibility to assess their environmental footprint, as we all do. As future educators, we need to start with the institutions that we currently work within. As Selwyn said “We need to start in our own backyard”. He also pointed out that education is a great place to begin putting pressure on other industries to get on board. One item that he didn’t touch on as much is education’s power to influence. Students are able to pick up not only skills but foundational values that they carry with them throughout their lives. Say, if we teach these values to primary and secondary students, those learners are the future generations that will use these products and vote. However, Selwyn does point out the need for a global response on climate change and that education IS a global industry. In this, education “can be the force to lead this movement of change”. We need to remember that it is a collective responsibility, not an individual responsibility to reduce carbon emissions.

Last Little Note: “Let’s Change The World”

This past week I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a presentation in Vancouver by Bill Nye. That’s right, Bill Nye the Science Guy! Besides being ecstatic about seeing a childhood hero talk about climate change, there was a lot of hope about the future which contrasted with Selwyn’s lecture. However, there were a few key notes that Nye made that I couldn’t help but connect to some of what Selwyn talked about. Nye was discussing projects on developing clean energy on a global scale and what we need to make positive social and environmental changes based on the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. In this, he simplifies it into 3 key necessities; That everyone needs access to clean water, clean electricity, and then internet. The reason I bring this up, is although it contradicts some of Selwyn’s outcomes, it does tie into what the future could hold. There was so much discussion on clean energy usage, what is being developed, what we need to shift away from and in doing so, how to make clean energy for clean internet and technology usage.
Although I didn’t have the opportunity to ask Bill any questions, I would have loved to hear his thoughts on Selwyn’s lecture regarding the future of ed-tech. I thought hard about a question I would like to have asked him, if I had the opportunity. The question that stuck out to me was “Do you think educational technology should revert to low-tech practices until we (those north of the equator) transition to clean energy entirely? Or at least until it is the most dominant form of energy?
Honestly, I would love to see Selwyn and Bill Nye talk about the topics Selwyn brings up in his lecture.